When life hands you a lemon, what do you do?…Right!…Make lemonade. History has shown how strong human beings are. We find a way to get through tough situations. I bet no one ever imagined a pandemic like Covid-19 could have such a global impact on our freedom and the way we live. But the reality is, it has…And it is up to us to define how we go down in history. As we are slowly wrapping our head around this disaster, in slow motion, our everyday actions and decisions will determine how soon or late this will end.
When it comes to self-quarantine, I must admit I’m loving it. I have always been wishing for such a period of time when I could catch up with my to-do-list, my readings and learning new things. But I realize for many people, staying at home all day every day is not the most ideal situation. One thing is obvious, if we don’t exercise social distancing and self-quarantine, we can’t gain control over the situation and flatten the curve.
The best way to make this easy on ourselves and others around us is to find things to do at home to keep everyone occupied. This will help us pass the time and we can experience and learn new things in the process. This is the only way to come out of this mess a better, wiser and a stronger person. In my family, we have consciously rationed our intake of news around Covid-19. It is important to take a break from the noise and let yourself soak in some fresh air and take in all the beautiful shades of green nature has to offer these days. We are all spending more time on our laptops, learning new things everyday and this little headset has been a game-changer in keeping peace and respecting each other’s privacy.
I have compiled a long list of fun, exciting and informative things you can do during the self-quarantine. Keep scrolling down and I am sure you will find something interesting for everyone in the family. I will be adding to the list as I come across more resources. Please share it with your friends and family and anyone who might benefit from it.
If you need to change your mood first:
- Get up and move to the beats of nation’s most favorite song “Happy“
If you ever wanted to be more active and incorporate regular workout into your daily life:
- I must say this one has been a life changer for me. I have never been so active in my life and I have been able to accomplish this from the comfort of my home using “Oculus“. My Favorite workout routine is the boxing or the flow from Supernatural. The coaches are awesome and the workouts are just out of this world. You can invite your friends from facebook or fill up your leaderboard from the public profiles and create a community of like-minded people who are into it as much as you are. A little competition every now and then can really fire up that motivation and it can keep you going. Feel free to join me on Supernatural if you like. Here is my personal invite link. Hope to see you there soon.
- When shopping for Oculus, you can choose from a 128 GB or a 256 GB depending on the number of games you think you will download on it. You can easily download 30-40 games on Oculus 2 128 GB and it is more affordable.
Next, head over to Disneyland and other theme parks. After all, these are “the happiest places on earth”
- Enjoy some virtual rides! You can choose from Frozen, Pirates of the Caribbean, The thrilling journey of: Peter Pan, Take the heart pumping Indiana Jones ride. For a bit more chill of a ride hop on the Alice in Wonderland caterpillars. You can even take a ride under the sea on The Little Mermaid adventure and you can end your tour of Disney with the popular ride of It’s a Small World.
- Now, we are going to do something that is IMPOSSIBLE in the real world! We are going to head over to Universal Studios to go on the jaw-dropping Harry Potter ride.
- Take a trip to Legoland Florida Resort and take a virtual tour of the park.
- Check out Seaworld Orlando for a tour of Discovery Cove and the option to ride the steel roller coaster Mako.
For art lovers:
For travel lovers
- See the bird’s eye view of all the incredible places on earth!
For the curious mind:
Podcasts are the best way to learn new and interesting things on the go. The following podcasts are some of my favorites…There are so many more out there so look for one that you would enjoy:
- Want TED Talks on the go? Listen to Ted Talks Daily!
- Skill up podcast is a great way to take your sales, marketing and service skills to the next level.
- How I built This dives into the stories behind some of the world’s best known and most successful companies.
- Breaking up with binge eating” is a great podcast for those who are finding themselves eating more during the self quarantine.
Your kids are driving you crazy? No worries! We have something for them as well:
Podcasts that will keep your kids in their room so you can enjoy the rest of the items on this list.
- Brains On! Science podcast for kids
- What If World – Fun stories for Kids
- But Why? A podcast for curious kids
For the learners:
- Check out Yale’s most popular free online course on “how to be happier in life“
- Or if you enjoy psychology, you might want to take Yale’s “introduction to psychology” course.
I love Coursera and their collection of online courses. You can search for any topic you are interested in and find a course from top universities in the world. Some courses are free and some are not.
Night time stories or day time meditation:
- The Meditative Story podcast is an amazing podcast that takes you on a journey through stories with meditation prompts embedded into the storylines — accompanied by calming and relaxing music.
Check out the live cams in the following zoos and aquariums:
- San Diego Zoo: check out several live cam options. You can switch between cameras.
- National Aquarium: you can check different levels of this enormous aquarium on a 3D view.
- The Cincinnati Zoo: holds a daily home safari on its Facebook Live Feed at 3:00 pm.
- Atlanta Zoo: livestream “Panda Cam” is fun and engaging for kids and adults.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium: Check out the amazing moon jelly, coral reef or shark cams at Monterey Bay’s Habitat exhibit.
- Houston Zoo: The zoo has their adorable residents you can check in on with this zoo’s live cam.
- Georgia Aquarium: Sea-dwellers like African penguins and Beluga Whales are the stars of this aquarium’s live cam.
And if none of these keep you occupied and you need to do some online shopping therapy, make sure to check out WeThrift.com for some money saving coupons on your favorite online stores.
Let me know if you come across anything interesting you would like to share with others. Please spread the happiness by sharing this with friends.
this was great. thank you for taking the time to put this together.
Great resource…Thanks for compiling this. I loved the Disney rides and it was so fun to experience them eventhough virtual.